Saturday, June 8, 2019

Transitions in Marriage

"Meanwhile, mortal misunderstandings can make mischief in marriage. In fact, each marriage starts with two built-in handicaps. It involves two imperfect people. Happiness can come to them only through their earnest effort. Just as harmony comes from an orchestra only when its members make a concentrated effort, so harmony in marriage also requires a concerted effort. That effort will succeed in each partner will minimize personal demands and maximize actions of loving selflessness" (President Russell M. Nelson). What happens when two imperfect people end up falling in love and getting married? Obviously there will sometimes be misunderstandings, fights, and tension. If you are in search of the “perfect someone,” trust me when I say there isn’t one. Even if there were that special someone, why would she or he end up with you? As harsh as that may sound it’s true. Eternal Marriage is a symbol of unity. Often times I have pondered over this subject. The best advice I can come up with is try to find someone that has certain qualities that you do not possess. We are all imperfect human beings. God and I are the only ones who truly understand myself. I know my weaknesses and strengths. In order to better those weaknesses, I need to look for someone who is good at those things or areas. Although this may seem one-sided, it is not. I hope to end up with someone that will be good what I am not, but I will be have certain qualities that she does not have. And together we shall grow and become better. I am a person that is always thinking about improvement. Just like the rich young ruler in the new testament I often ask myself “what lack I yet?” I am aware that I have a number of things that I need to improve on, but I know I cannot do it alone. I need someone to help me improve as a person, individual, a son, etc. I have been able to obtain all of my strengths thanks to the help of others. Ask yourself when decided on if he or she is really the one for you “is this person going to make me better or worse?” I have seen this concept in my parents. My parents are complete opposites. Their personalities are what make them different. My father is typically the energetic one. Always trying to make people smile and looking for friendship. Striving to connect with people and understand them. I really love him because of how unselfish he has always been. He has always put his kids first. He has always given me more than what I deserve. And that’s incredible considering he came from poverty in a different country. My father struggled and sacrificed much to be where he is today. My mother is quite the opposite. She is nice but is not as open as my father. She is more reserved and the more responsible one in the family. Out of the two, she is always the main one that gets mad at me when I am not doing what I am suppose to do. This may sound bad, but she is the one that wears the pants in the relationship. Always doing what is needed to be done. She is a very professional individual. Although their personalities are quite different, they complement each other. She has helped him become more responsible. He has helped her become more loving towards others. They always want to be together. They cannot stand being away from each other. They do fight but they do their best to try to resolve issues. Find that person that compliments you. And you will see how he or she can help you reach your full potential.

1 comment:

  1. You've almost described my parents to a "T". My dad always wants to play and have fun. He is a social butterfly, but my mom is reserved and introverted. She is a perfectionist and super strict with herself.

    ReplyDelete